The shpatzirim are a race of neutral outsiders who have been wandering the multiverse for countless ages, bridging distances between worlds.
Shpatzirim are creatures who seek only to forge new connections between faraway places. They seek to bring far places near to each other, whether this means helping an isolated village discover the world around it, or opening a permanent portal from one world to another in a different plane.
To a shpatzir, the concepts of good, evil, law, and chaos are alien and quite mysterious. What matters are the distinctions between connection and separation, travel and stillness. A shpatzir will go out of its way to coax people into movement and travel, regardless of the other effects this travel may have upon the world, or upon the travelers. It would be as happy to entice you into traveling by revealing the location of a hidden treasure, as by destroying your home so you are forced to move.
The shpatzirim are most commonly associated with the Astral Plane. However, according to the shpatzirim themselves, the Astral is not their home. They come originally, they say, from an unknown plane far across the multiverse. The Astral Plane is their adopted home, for the shpatzirim admire its connection with all the other planes, and its innate use in teleportation, the “perfect” mode of transport.
Types of Shpatzirim
Each type of shpatzir is associated with some mode of travel, which it embodies and protects.
The buteus is a associated with travel by foot and climbing. The most common and weakest type of shpatzir, the buteus looks rather like a blue-gray squirrel with six legs, a spiked ball for a tail and a long, upright torso atop which is its small head. Butei will often serve as familiars to spellcasters who show a marked desire for travel.
The laquedem is associated with travel over water. It takes the form of a champagne-colored humanoid shark, usually armed with a bow and its fearsome bite. Many ships consider the presence of a laquedem a blessing, although no laquedem associates itself with a single ship for very long.
The mighty coshverosh, most powerful of the shpatzirim, are almost never seen on the material plane. They are guardians of teleportation, and by extension, of the Astral Plane itself. Their appearance is unknown, but they are known to possess fearsome magic. It is said that only the coshveroshes recall the true nature of the shpatzirim’s impossibly distant origin plane.
Shpatzirim are neutral outsiders who wander the multiverse, creating and maintaining portals, travel routes, and other connections between faraway places.
- Immunity to fire, paralysis, and petrification.
- Resistance to acid 10, electricity 10, and sonic 10.
- Astral Home (Ex) The true home plane of the shpatzirim is cosmically distant from the material plane. If forced to return to its home plane by an effect such as dismissal or banishment, it treats the astral plane as its home plane unless it is already on the astral plane.
- Shift (Su) A shpatzir can, as a swift action once every 1d4 rounds, teleport to a nearby space as if using dimension door. This movement does not provoke an attack of opportunity. The shpatzir must be able to see the space it is moving into, and cannot take other creatures with it when using this ability. The exact distance a shpatzir can shift depends on the type of shpatzir, but is generally equal to 5 feet per every 2 HD of the shpatzir. Summoned shpatzirim retain the use of this ability (this is an exception to the rule that summoned creatures cannot teleport).
- Summon (Sp) Shpatzirim share the ability to summon others of their kind, typically another of their type or a small number of less powerful shpatzirim.
- Truespeech (Su): A shpatzir can speak with any creature that has a language, as if using a tongues spell (caster level 14th). This ability is always active.